Galvanised Steel Wire Rope Grips DIN1142
Using these grips, you can easily create wire rope eyes or eyelets by simply threading through your wire and tightening the nuts. Due to their marine grade manufacture, these grips are tough, durable and resistant to the environment.
We recommend you use three wire rope clamps for each loop, to ensure that the eyes or eyelets are secure.
Made from yellow zinc passivated steel, meeting the DIN1142 EN 13411-5:2003 performance specification, these grips are built to suit wire rope of 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 16mm diameters.
A simple guide on how to use and fit your steel wire rope grips
- DIN 1142 Steel Wire Rope Grips should be spaced six wire rope diameters apart to give adequate holding power (eg. 5mm wire rope = 30mm distance between grips)
- We recommend a minimum of 3 grips per end for diameters upto 6mm and 4 grips for diameter 8mm - 19mm
- They should be tightened before the rope is placed under tension
- After the load is placed on the wire rope, tighten the clamps again to take care of any lessening in rope diameter caused by tension of the load
- Regularly check the nuts ensuring they are still fastened tightly
- The Wire Rope Grips are sized like for like, eg. If you have 5mm wire rope then buy 5mm grips, each grip allows that diameter of wire to pass through twice to form a loop
- It is generally accepted that you should achieve 50% of the wire rope breaking load as a guide to holding power
- We recommend using these wire rope grips with a 7x19 flexible strand of steel wire ropes - do not use these grips with the stiff 1x19 wire rope strands
Please take note of the above image, the dead end of the wire (cut end) should always be at the top, the live end should always be at the bottom on the saddle
Below are recommendations for turnback and torque settings for DIN 1142 specification steel wire rope grips
It is strongly recommended and in some applications required that the wire rope grips are regularly inspected. This is required because the products in use may be affected by wear, misuse, overloading etc. with a consequence of deformation and alteration of the material structure. Inspection should take place at least every six months and even more frequently when the products are used in severe operating conditions
The above information is for guidance only, DIN 1142 wire rope grips should not be used for lifting or safety critical applications